Category Management & Review
Selling to retail chains, retail category review & management
Retail Marketing no longer tolerates weak marketing. Category Management is a science and those without the scientific knowledge of Category Management are quickly exposed when Category Reviews are presented.A Category Review is an opportunity to star, or to strike out, but the rewards are plentiful for those that undertake diligent analysis in their Category.
What is Category Management?
Evolving out of grocery retailing, Category Management is a retail management approach of dividing a business into distinct groups by product categories and managing the retail dynamics productively to optimise retail efficiency and maximise customer satisfaction .
What is a Category Review?
The process a Category Manager uses to objectively assess each participant in his/her category to determine the validity of the win/win relationship shared between trade partners.
The future of brands can be decided in the period of a week or less, so it is crucial to employ every piece of knowledge you have from the market research and analysis, to present the perfect permutation of products for the Category.
Using knowledge you have gained from market research, performance analysis, customer experience feedback, and trade partner intelligence, it is up to the Key Account Manager, Marketing Consultant or Food Broker to construct a Category Review Assessment that assist the Category Manager to draw up the best possible Category Plan.
The Category Review Presentation
A formal Category Review Presentation should include salient market research, analysis, range review and business development plan. It is vital to remember that retailers do "not have rubber walls" and the limitations on their space is exceed by the demands of aspiring marketers to win shelf presence. You must demonstrate hat the Category Manager is best serving their existing customers and potential new customers with the retail offer you are proposing.
Best category management is built around working with the Category Manager. Key account management, when selling to major accounts and national retailers, relies upon accurate market information, reflected in their own data, interpreted logically to demonstrate insightful category planning and legitimate win/win opportunity.... Learn More>>
8 Category Review Analysis & Planning Steps
- 1. Define the Win/Win Business Opportunity - SWOT & Critical assessment of any contingencies, Consider Macro/micro issues, PESTLE, Industry, Competitive and market forces.
- 2. Develop the Plan - Minimize assumptions validate data identify sensitivities
- 3. Assemble organise and collate and evaluate data
- 4. Analyse & interpret data
- 5. Identify & Summarize key findings & Issues
- 6. Develop treatment, implementation and action program
- 7. Review the Analysis & Action Steps with the Decision Maker Review purpose, approach, conclusions & tactics for implementation
- 8. Refine and distribute action program with monitoring feedback & control mechanisms and checklist.
Common Category Management Category Review Mistakes
- Believing your buyer knows less than you do
- Trying to push buyers into buying stock that will not turn over fast enough
- Presenting without sophisticated market research and information analysis
- A shoe-string budget
- Not understanding the purpose of a Category Management Category Review
Call 02 9904 5355 NOW.
Category Review Template
To deliver a comprehensive Category Review Presentation, download this helpful Category Review Template in PowerPoint format
23 Things to Think About in Category Management
- Category Management Overview
- Retailer Strategy
- Category Definition
- Category Roles
- Category Strategies
- Market Segments
- Data Sources
- Category Assessment
- Sales Fundamentals
- Category Management with Limited Data
- Implementation of the Category Plan
- Effective Category Management Analysis
- Accurate Category Assessment
- Promotion Analysis
- Pricing Analysis
- Fact Based Selling & Category Review
- Space Management Issues & Practice
- Advanced Shelving Solutions
- Cross Channel Conversion
- Psychology of Shopper Behaviour
- Retailer Economics & Strategic Supply Chain Management
- Strategic Selling & Collaborative Business Planning
- Competitive Assessment & Competition Analysis
Common Category Management Infrastructure
Shelf Allocation is based on potential category sales, profit, product size, product range and marketing aims of a Category Marketer who works on the analysis, development plan and defines the range, a Category Buyer who sources the range and a Category Planogram department who organises and communicates the range to the store. All these need to report to a Category Manager.
Category Management Scheduling
Retailers like Coles and Woolies review most categories twice a year and publish a timetable on their websites. Ask your target account to furnish you with their category review timetable... and work towards the dates laid our within.
Call 02 9904 5355 NOW.
Wise Words about Category Reviews
The winner is the chef who takes the same ingredients as everyone else and produces the best results.Edward de Bono
Don't risk expensive mistakes...
Category Review and Management
Ask us to undertake a comprehensive Category Review, or if you're confident, simply use the Category Review Template we've compiled to your left.